The SS Parthia (1870-1956) was an iron-hulled transatlantic ocean liner built for the Cunard Line by William Denny and Brothers in Dumbarton, Scotland. Her sister ships were the Abyssinia and Algeria. Unlike her two sisters, Parthia was smaller, built in a different shipyard and had a slightly different funnel arrangement. The Parthia was retired by Cunard in 1883 and sold to John Elder & Co., who subsequently transferred her to the Guion Line. After serving with the Guion Line and operating on transpacific routes with the Canadian Pacific Railway Company, she was refit and renamed Victoria. Under her new owners, the Northern Pacific Steamship Company, Victoria began operating out of Puget Sound in Washington state. In 1898, she was resold to the North American Mail Steamship Company and transferred to American registry. Due to this, Victoria was used as a troopship in the Spanish American War, carrying troops to Manila in the Philippines. In 1900, she served with various owners along a route from Puget Sound to Nome, Alaska until she ended up with the Alaska Steamship Company in 1908. Victoria was then operated between San Francisco, California to Nome, Alaska, via Seattle, Washington. In 1924, the Victoria, now 54 years old, underwent a massive refit, which added oil fired boilers, larger superstructure and an enclosed bridge to her ageing hull. In 1934, Victoria inaugurated the first Alaskan cruise for her owners, calling to Nome and Kotzebue in Alaska. In 1935, Victoria was laid up in Seattle for 3 years and was converted to cargo only in 1940. From 1941 to 1947, the U.S. War Administration used her on 46 voyages to Alaska. In 1952, she was sold for scrap to Dulien Steel Products, a firm on Lake Washington. Instead, she was converted into a barge and used by the Straits Towing and Salvage Company as the Straits No. 27 until 1956, when she was renamed Straits Maru and scrapped in Osaka.
Type: Ocean liner (1870-1900)
Coastal passenger liner (1900-1940)
Cruise ship (1934-1940?)
Cargo ship (1940-1954)
Tonnage: 3,167 gross tons (as Parthia)
3,868 gross tons (as Victoria)
Displacement: 6,670 tons (as Victoria)
Length: 360.5 ft (110 m)
Beam: 40.3 ft (12 m)
Propulsion: Compound steam engines driving a single screw propeller. Re-engined with Triple-expansion steam engines in 1885.
Sail plan: Barque (as Parthia)
Speed: 13 knots
Capacity: 200 First Class Passengers and 1,050 Third Class Passengers (as Parthia)
Notes: Rebuilt multiple times and renamed three times. Hull aged to 86 years when it was torn apart. Her sister ships were the Abyssinia and the Algeria.